SC - Period Tomato Sauce

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Thu May 13 21:56:50 PDT 1999

Greetings

Speaking as a professional historian (University College Professor), I can
tell you with fair authority that the judge was full of it (just what "it",
I'll not speculate). *Curye on Inglysch* definitely qualifies as a primary
source, since it is a verbatim publication of the original manuscripts. The
chances of anyone on this continent entering a dish based on actual direct
use of the original fourteenth century manuscript are about the same as an
icecube in the proverbial place ;<)  Most likely, what that statement meant
is that the judge was insufficiently expert in period cooking to recognize
the title; if you are putting an entry before that judge again, assume
his/her ignorance and put in an explanatory note explaining what the book
is, and also include the item and manuscript number (such as Harleian 1111).
To finish on sources, in case anyone is wondering, a secondary source (such
as a doctoral thesis or a specialized monograph) is an interpretation based
on original sources; a tertiary source (history text, for example) is an
interpretation based on the use of secondary sources rather than going back
to the original documents.

As to the long pepper and saunders, how much information do you want? I can
bury you in it if wanted. Again, the judge's comments demonstrate his/her
ignorance again, as he/she seems to assume that long pepper is no longer
available -- definitely not true, since I (in my other incarnation as spice
merchant) sell it. All in all, it seems that you have run into a common
problem with A&S competitions -- that the entrants may be more knowledgeable
that the judges.

Yours aromatically,
Francesco Sirene
David Dendy / ddendy at silk.net