SC - Sources, not sauces... slightly OT

Fri May 14 07:21:17 PDT 1999

> Okay, I'll bite - if you weren't *already* a "period cooking snob," why did
> you decide to start a list for period cooks?
>

> Alasdair mac Iain
> 1052 days....

I didn't start a list for period cooks. I started a list for SCA cooks.
Basically it first started out as a list of people who cooked SCA feasts
and could help with problems or give suggestions. Then more and more of these
"period cooking snobs" got on and just took over.

Now this list contains old period food snobs, new cooks just learning, old
cooks who have never done period, non-SCA people (who are very welcome),
and pure cooking dilettantes. I think the influence of this list is beginning
to spread to those who have never considered really cooking period dishes
and even outside the list into the semi-real world of the SCA. I don't know
if it is coincidence or not but there is a growing interest in doing more
period feasts in many kingdoms including my own. It could be that this list
has created new crusaders who go out and encourage period dishes and are
opening up a new and exciting segment of the Society where there was none
before.

I hope this answers your questions.

Yours,

Gunthar