SC - Period Tomato Sauce

Aelfwyn@aol.com Aelfwyn at aol.com
Fri May 14 18:17:38 PDT 1999

In a message dated 5/14/99 1:29:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time, stefan at texas.net
writes:

<< All we can do is try out best within various constraints and situations
 to produce as close a period dish as possible. To call any cook lazy
 because they don't meet your exacting standards is counterpoductive,
 and from what I've seen from you beneath you.

My definition of a dish that is 'period' is a dish made using an original
recipe, using the closest possible ingredients to what may have been used so
far as we know, and adhereing as closely as possible to the methods used to
cook it. For instance baking things is an oven is acceptable to me boiling ,
braising, frying, simmering on a stove top is OK. Substituting celery for
lovage could be period like . Substituing Cornish Game Hens for small birds
could be considered period-like.

So far as calling any particular person lazy, I did not specify any specific
person as such. I think that sometimes, we all tke a phrase out of context
and apply it in specifics terms when , it is rather obvious from the post
that general terms are implied by the context. Not all cooks doing the 'sub'
thingy or the backward redaction thingy are by any means 'lazy' but any
serious food historian who does not exhaust all other possibilities before
taking such a drastic step is.

As noted time and time again there are literally hundreds of known period
recipes to choose from either not containing offending ingredients or
containing more easily found ingredients. I think Cariadoc's post on the
subject says what I feel about the whole thing rather elegantly.

So far as, differences of opinions about what was it what form....well, they
are just that. I happen to think, and have at least one documented source to
prove, that pigs were bred large.  The other person has pictorial evidence
which is claimed as their 'proof'. Yellow and red carrots can be grown, as
can white beets, celery can be stressed so it is bitterer and thin of stalk,
etc. You think that none of these things can be 'proven' and live your life
filled with skepticism. I think that things can be anylyzed so much that no
useful function is served. Our lives are not seperated by that big a gap in
time and the massive biological changes you seem to suggest occured simply
have not had enough time to manifest. Common sense and biology tells us that
things are infinitely more similar than dissimilar.

Anyway, I have rambled enough. My posts are for the most part not
intentionally personal. I f you or others take them that way instead of what
they are meant to be there is little I can do to change your thoughts. So be
it.

Ras