SC - oop, ot-Happy Dance

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun May 16 15:18:10 PDT 1999

Lady Brighid answered my questions about some garlic recipes:
> And it came to pass on 16 May 99,, that Stefan li Rous wrote:
> [quoting me]:
> > > I know of a couple of recipes (sauces and
> > > pottages, I think) which use roasted garlic as an ingredient.
>
> > It was simply the roasting of heads of garlic I had in mind. Although I
> > was I think, thinking mainly of the roasted garlic being spread on bread.
>
> I have no evidence for plain roasted garlic on bread.  Only as an
> ingredient in cooked dishes.
>
> > I would love to have referances to these recipes that used roasted garlic
> > and even better any that describe how to roast them.
>
> How to roast them is described only by the phrase "roasted in the
> embers".  I would assume that for even cooking, you'd want to bury the
> heads of garlic in the embers.  Then it would be a matter of
> experimentation to figure out timing.  Timing may be variable and difficult
> to judge, as witness the fact that at least one of the recipes below tells
> you what to do if you remove the garlic from the embers and it is
> insufficiently roasted.

Well I guess it is easier to solve that problem that if they were overly
roasted.

> Here, to the best of my recollection, are the recipes I posted before.  I
> almost found myself in the strange position of telling you to check the
> Floriligeum, but evidently they didn't get in.

Thank you. And it is ok to tell me to go look in my own Florilegium. Sometimes
I do forget what I have already put in there or I am too anxious to reply to a
message. I think in this case though, that the previous recipes may be in a
digest I had to skip with the idea of going back to it later. Sometimes it
is also possible for messages to be in one of the 800 or so files of messages
that I have saved to go in the Florilegium but haven't gotten to yet. That is
not the case here though as I recently updated the garlic-msg file.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
         http://lg_photo.home.texas.net/florilegium/index.html ****