SC - Fw: Sad Tidings

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Sun May 16 17:46:45 PDT 1999

In a message dated 5/16/99 12:59:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

<< Seriously (or semi-seriously), though, I guess the problem is that if
 one advertised for judges for an A&S competition, and stipulated that
 idiots need not apply, everyone would automatically assume you were
 referring to somebody other than themselves.

 Adamantius (What, me, an idiot???) >>

Adamantius, I would never make such a comment about you. But you are on the
right track. I've been the A&S for my Province setting up a large
competition. You need to find folks willing to judge and you pray that they
will exercise tact in any comments they make on entry sheets. Then you need
to be sure the folks that do the judging will be ones people will consider
unbiased (this competition was for a war point as part of Great Northeastern
War). When you make up the categories to be used you try to gauge to the
knowledge of the available judges, but then there are always people wanting
to enter very valid items in categories you know are not your judges' forte.
Alas, some very fine judges WILL make ill advised comments on those entry
sheets. In NO WAY am I defending the "they didn't fry" comment, merely
offering another angle to view it from. FYI: You can identify the local A&S
Mistress at a competition as the one off in a corner quietly having a minor
breakdown. I find I much prefer the kitchen, thank you just the same.
Aelfwyn
"If nominated; I will not run, if elected; I will not serve."