SC - Cordial Reference (was: First topics)

Wade Hutchison whutchis at bucknell.edu
Mon May 17 08:35:18 PDT 1999

	I know this is going to be out of period, but I have to tell you
about my amazing find in a backstreet bookshop on Saturday - I found ( and
bought, instantly!)  an 1890  copy of cassell's dictionary of cooking, and
it's amazing ! It has recipes for everything - even 3 different recipes on
how to cook larks : ), and it gives you the approximate cost for things 1s
2d for such-n-such a dish............

	It 'pronounces' on food too, stating some of the most amazing things
- - I'll have to bring some of the quotes in, becuase it had me rolling on the
floor with laughter.  Things like "potatoes are unhealthy and only suitable
for the most poor and lower classes " : )

	The only drawback is that it has been 'mildewed' at one stage - not
badly but enough that you can smell the musty smell, so I can't keep it on
my bookshelves with my other cook books. So it gets pride of place by
itself.......it has to be on a par with my 17th century brass cooking spoon,
which has been worn away at an angle from pot stirring.

	Thanks for letting me babble

	Karin