SC - lichen in period?

pop.efortress.com kappler at efortress.com
Mon May 17 12:48:53 PDT 1999

Russell Gilman-Hunt writes:

> I have been mulling this over.  You see, I am one of those poets; I
> write poetry in a period fashion, using modern English.  And the process
> is not quite the same (for me) as what that person was claiming to be
> an analog of the "oh meat is period and bread is period, and I bet egg
> and oil is period... would you pass me that roast beef sandwich with
> Mayo?"

Branwen is perfectly capable of defending herself, and will probably kill
me if I mention the fact that she's not only an experienced kitchener but
has won competitions out here for her Anglo-Saxon verse <strolling
innocently toward the rock--and out of firing range> so I'll get to *my*
point and not impede what she might have to say.

Should standards differ for the different fields within arts and sciences?
 In the Bardic arts, if I am not mistaken, the ultimate demonstration of
one's skill is to create a piece in a period style; this is held in a
higher regard than simply reciting a known period piece, as it proves your
total understanding of period style.

In the art of cooking, however, the reverse is true:  the standard is to
recreate a known period "piece."  Creating a piece from period ingredients
in a period style is considered less valid.

I'm not claiming either viewpoint is correct or incorrect; and I'm
certainly not going to indicate which I prefer <GRIN>--I'm just pointing
out that they *seem* to contradict one another.

	- kat, grabbing a cider and settling down under the rock...