SC - Re; Cooks list

pop.efortress.com kappler at efortress.com
Mon May 17 12:53:47 PDT 1999

For practical purposes, the judge was wrong, and you can use my name in
telling him/her so if you wish. The manuscript source for the recipe in
question is MS Sloane 121, transcribed in Goud Kokery, but with the
attribution left intact (see page 147, CoI).

There is great disagreement among the various academic communities as to
what constitutes primary, secondary, and tertiary sources. By default,
manuscripts tend to be considered primary sources because the authors, the
original cooks of Bear's example, tend almost exclusively to be dead. It's
pretty much a matter of opinion as to whether a transcription constitutes a
secondary source. One might argue that it is secondary, but in some cases
dealing with it might produce results more accurate than when dealing with
the primary source. For example, if I make a careful transcription of a
500-year-old manuscript, my transcription may be in better shape and more
legible than the original after another century has passed. I've heard
scholars argue that a photograph of a manuscript constitutes a secondary
source (or if the manuscript is
considered secondary to the author, then I guess it's tertiary).
Basically it comes down to how anal-retentive you're prepared to be.

	Okay, all:  views on archaeological evidence?

Berengaria