SC - Re: Welsh Seaweed Recipes

snowfire@mail.snet.net snowfire at mail.snet.net
Tue May 18 10:33:55 PDT 1999

Stuffed grape leaves.  Two recipes- one meat and the other veggie.  I have
always had lamb or meat filled.  Please note that my wife's recipe from a
Greek friend is missing and offer these two.

Recipe 1

Taken from our Immigrant Ancestors by Jeff Smith, ISBN 0-688-07590-8

1 pound ground lamb, [using beef instead for costs.]
1 cup long grain rice.  [also mixing brown and wild rice in]
1/4 teas ground cinnamon
7 dozen fresh grape leaves, or 1 jar [friends mother ripped out her vines
before I could get there.
1/4 teas allspice
Salt/pepper to taste
juice two lemons

serve with yogurt and hot lemon sauce

Mix lamb, rice, spices salt and pepper.

If using fresh leaves, try to get smaller ones {personal experience, they
work best}.  Blanch them till they change color.  Just a moment.  Drain and
cool.  If using a jar, just sperate large from small.

Place a layer of smaller leaves in the bottom of a large heavy bottomed
kettle or sauce pot, with a cover.

Lay each large grape leaf on a flat surface, vein side up. Trim away stem.  [
v cut into bottom of leaf}

Put about a tablespoon of mixture into grapeleaf.  Form the mixture into a
cylindrical shape apx, 1/2 x 2 or three inches. Depends upon grape leaf.

Fold up the bottom, [stem side] up. Fold in both side.  Roll top over for
tight fit.

Place in Pot.  Place tightly next to each other so they won't unwrap.  About
3 or 4 layers deep. Place plate over layers.  Cover with water. Bring to
boil, then turn down to a simmer and cook, covered for one hour.  After the
first 30 minutes of cooking, add the lemon juice.

Recipe number 2

Greek Cooking, by Ruth Kershner  ISBN 0-517-239329

Dolmadakia

1 jar leaves
1 1/2 T olive oil
1 medium onion
1/2 cup pine nuts
3/4 cup wild rice
1/2 cup golden raisins
2 1/2 cups water
2 tablespoons parsley finely chopped
1/2 teas salt
fresh ground pepper
2 medium tomatoes  {obviously not period}
juice of lemon

First part same as above

Saute onions until limp.  Add pine nuts and cook 5 minutes.
Add rice, raisins and 1 1/2 cup water.  Cover and cook for 20 minutes or
until all the liquid is absorbed.  Stir in parsley, salt, pepper cinnamon and
tomatoes.

Fill and fold as above recipe.

Place in pan same as above.  Pour 1 cup water over.  Place plate over. Cook
30 minutes

This recipe recommends serving with lemon wedges.

I am making a mint yurgert dip to go with both grape leaves and meatballs.
Recipe......Add fresh mint from garden until it tastes right let it sit
overnight before serving.

Hope this helps.

Does anyone have any period sources for these.  I did not see on in the
Missanary

Lord Frederich