SC - German Food

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Tue May 18 10:45:58 PDT 1999

Hello fellow cooks
This past weekend I attended an event in Manitowoc, WI called Mermaids.  I
got to help out with feast as well as eat it, and I just wanted to give the
list a run down on the menu and kitchen crew.
The feast served 100 and was middle eastern.  Unfortunately, it was not
period, but the cook herself made a nice attempt to be period-like.  The
food was great and delicious, and I am attempting to get the recipes from
her so that I can forward them to anyone who requests.  The nice thing is
that for the past seven years of this event, it has been pretty much the
same dishes, so the cook worked hard towards something different.  (Oh yeah,
and I told her about the cooks list, and she was excited!) The kitchen crew
was one of the best I had ever seen.  the feast started at 6pm, finished at
8pm, and the crew was done by 9pm.  they kept the kitchen clean all day,
four gentleman who rotated doing dishes all day as we cooked.  I also had
assistance from my two nephews (6 and 8) and my younger sister (16) and
their friend (7) and it was their first time assisting in the kitchens.  I
was proud.  But anyways, here's the food list:

First course:
flat bread (they used pita bread, whole wheat)
Tahini (which was very good!)
fresh vegetables-carrots, celery, cauliflower
vinegrette dressing, very lemon tang, on the side for the bread or veggies.
baba ganouche (sorry about spelling)

Second Course:
stewed lamb in sauce over couscous with currants, dates, and raisins. (While
i didnt eat the lamb being vegetarian, I did sample the couscous with the
seasonings in it.  it was very good! I believe it had cumin, tumeric,
cinnamon, cloves, and a few other things I couldnt place, but I think
cilantro was in it somewhere too.  and garlic,  lots of fresh garlic.  I did
much mincing of garlic.)
squash over couscous with same seasonings (they used summer squash and a
little bit of zucchini)
Tomato and cucumber salad-had a zesty lemon/balsamic dressing on it and
definately had cilantro in it.  She wanted something cold to balance out the
two hot dishes, and it wasnt period, but boy was it really good!  I had
thirds.
more flat bread for soaking up lamb juice.

third course:
chicken kabobs with dried apricots and dates, the chicken had been marinated
in bay leaves, olive oil, capers, plus seasonings combo that smelled good in
the marinade and better upon the cooking!  I snatched a couple of the
apricots and dates from my little sister with the marinade and it was good!
roasted veggies-summer squash, carrots, cauliflower
Lemon barley soup-served cold, as it was supposed to be.  was like having a
cream of lemon soup with soft, soaked barley kernals in it and scallions.  I
liked it, but got mixed reviews from the crowd.
fruit couscous-had melon(cantalope and musk), passion fruit, and strawberry
chunks mixed into couscous with passion fruit juice. Nice and chilled,
refreshing way to serve a desert, not too filling.

SOOO, not a period feast by any means, but a happy one, and I gotta give the
cook credit, the food was good, it was not run of the mill, and she
attempted period like substitutes.   And i now know how to debone 50 lbs of
lamb quickly.  Recipes will be available after she gets them to me . . .
Shari Burnham
Lady Elisabeth Of Pendarvis
Shadewes Company
Barony of Caer Anterth Mawr (Milwaukee, WI)
Principality of Northshield

"Minutus Cantorum, Minutus Balorum,
Minutus Carborata Descendum Pantorum"
(A little song, A little dance,