stuffed grape leaves (was Re: SC - rocotti and cottage chease leftovers?

Maureen Martin mlmartin at freewwweb.com
Tue May 18 21:57:09 PDT 1999

hi all from Anne-Marie, your friendly neighborhood microbiologist :)

Sindara sez:
>> When I was nursing my duaghter, the lactation consultant told me not to
>> wash the baby bottles, breast pump parts or even my hands with anti
>> bacterial soap.  She told me that it kills both the good and bad bacteria
>> which leaves an environment ripe for the growth of those little yeasties
>> that cause Thrush. Regular soap like Ivory works just as well.

Soap by its very nature is antibacterial. Those phospholipid membranes
really hate the stuff. In the lab, where we work with way worse bugs than
most of you ever see, we use hot water (lots!) and regular hand soap and
heavy duty scrubbing. Really, its the hot water and scrubbing that does
most of the work, since the little guys get rinsed off down the drain
pretty easily.

CHristianna sez:
>> >Ok, just to throw the proverbial monkeywrench in, I just recently learned
>> >something about antibacterial soaps.  The active ingredient, triclosan,
>> >is considered toxic, can cause contact dermatitis, and is a derivative of
>> >Agent Orange.  (Well, I guess it makes sense, defoliant=antibacterial).
>> >It is sold in just about every item on the market that is label antibac.,
>> >and has been listed by the FDA as a possible harmful substance.

someone else mentioned that most anything can cause contact dermititis (I'm
personally sensitive to stuff in lots of laundry detergents and hot tub
chemicals :)). True. And as for triclosan being a "derivitive of Agent
Orange", I suppose so...the way nutrisweet is "made of natural ingredients"
:)...thoght the newest line of stuff doesnt contain it (got a sample at the
Bio99 trade show today. no alcohol either! most cool!) the whole concept of
antimicrobial soaps is kinda goofy to me, since regular soap and hot water
does such a good job, and I follow up with bleach when needed (just like we
do in my BL3 lab).

the take home message is to do what you feel comfortable with...if you feel
safer for having a belt and suspenders, more power to you! Me, I stick with
my regular soap and save the fancy chemicals for that neat disinfecting
hand gel that doesnt require water (for after the biffs anmd before cookign
while camping)

- --Anne-Marie