SC - Food expiration dates

Rayne or Richard PRIDEelectric at centuryinter.net
Wed May 19 00:04:41 PDT 1999

A fun day--

A friend and I went shopping in the Strip District, today.  The
mid-Eastern grocery, Labad's, has rose water for $2.95 per bottle, and I
got some rose syrup and orange blossom water, too.  I also bought split
fava beans,  farina, red lentils, basmatti rice, pomegranite syrup, pine
nuts (at $11.99/lb, for private use only!  ;-0 ) and some other stuff to
experiment with.

I think the basmatti rice is in a recipe that's in the Florilegium, but
I'm not sure that I've seen farina anywhere in European cookery.  Anybody
know if it was imported?  And what's the difference between farina and
semolina?  The farina was much more yellow in color, and the semolina was
coarser in grind.  Does one have more gluten, or is the grind the
difference?  I got some wheat, the fine one of three different grinds,
for doing frumenty, but I think I will still like the barley version
best.

There was a lovely bin of black beans.  Are those a new world import that
near-Easterners have adopted?  I did download His Grace's recipes from
the Miscelleny, so I'll have some things to play with.

On the sad side, the wholesale/retail fish place has gone trendy.  Stiff
incredible variety, but grocery store prices.  They swept out the
sawdust, too.  Sigh.  We bought a chicken vegetable lo-mein from a
sidewalk vender, perched on a big wooden crate to eat it, and grinned at
the pedestrians who were too trendy to join us!

Regards,

Allison
allilyn at juno.com, Barony Marche of the Debatable Lands, Pittsburgh, PA
Kingdom of Aethelmearc