SC - vine leaves

Christina van Tets cjvt at hotmail.com
Wed May 19 17:24:10 PDT 1999

Hello the list!  Yes, I've finally managed to get to a machine, so greetings
from Belgium at long last (note the new address).

There is actually a recipe for stuffed vine leaves not long out of period
(ie. 60 years or so) in the English corpus.  Lady Ann Blencowe, IIRC,
included them in her collection, headed 'To make a delma'.  You can find
this quoted in Elisabeth Ayrton's 'Cookery of England'.  Not that I'm
claiming that the earlier Poms used them;  it's just an interesting piece of
relatively useless trivia (another souvenir from the Grand Tour??).

BTW, the leaves are really easy to salt and mine were good for years, until
I dropped them.

Cairistiona nB