stuffed grape leaves (was Re: SC - rocotti and cottage chease leftovers?

Gretchen M Beck grm+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed May 19 08:46:18 PDT 1999

> I wrote in my original post:
> <<  I called the company and discussed  it with them.  Turned out it had
> expired some time

> ago.  This sent me on a quest  to figure out the dates on all the stuff on my
> shelves.  I hate to

> say it but I  threw a lot of stuff away.

Lord Ras responded with kind comments and additional pertinent data.  I do
feel,though, that I need to respond to a few words.  (other comments snipped for
bandwidth)

>  Ras:  "I would  caution anyone against going into their larder and willy nilly
> throwing out everything that is outdated though. The shelf life time is,
> according to the Campbell's
> representative that I spoke to, an average shelf life and does not represent a
> specific time after which the product is unfit for consumption. It represents
> the time the product is expected to maintain it self in PRIME condition. Actual
> uable shelf life can and often does, extend well beyond the date recommended.
> Sometimes for several years."

Yes, certain food products can remain "safe" to eat past the expiration date, BUT
as you stated it will be past it's PRIME.  (for this I went back to Food Safety
Microbiologist - the Sister). Food is processed in a certain way by the company
with the expiration of the product in mind.  If a company wants their product to
last for 20 years it would require a different type of processing than if the
product was designed to last for 12-18 months.  Although food may be "fit to eat"
it does not mean that you would "want" to eat it.  The taste may become "off" or
change, nutrients are lost, the texture may change, etc.   I am not advocating
tossing out a product that has an expiration date of July 15, 99 on July 16, 99
or even Sep 16, 99.  People just need to be aware of what they buy when they buy
it and also how long they have had it.  (especially with people concerned with
this Y2K situation).  I have always had a year's supply of food, water, etc.
[how I was raised :) ]  BUT it is not tucked away somewhere.  It is used daily
and rotated.   I have seen people at events buy foods to be used at a feast, the
food not used and then stored in someone's basement until the next years feast.
I also like to buy at discount grocers, but many of these foods are discounted
because the expiration date is drawing near.

> Ras:  Use common sense and do not put too much reliance on  commercial
> pronouncements. The food companies are in the business to sell food and it is
> in their best interests if you throw things away because of a specific date
> printed on an item.

I agree to use common sense but the last sentence I disagree with.  Expiration
dates are put on food by direction of the FDA.  I worked in a cannery for my
church and food has expiration dates because it is required.  Even if the food is
NOT going to be sold at all.  It is NOT in the best interest of a company for
anyone to use outdated products.  If you ate a can of "old" beans that was limp,
discolored and tasted "funny", you would not buy that product again.  Food
companies want you to have their products in it's best condition.  It is your
best interest to be an informed consumer.  That is why more and more companies
are going to "plain english" dating systems.  They don't want the store to sell
old stuff and they don't want you to buy it.

Let me tell everyone how the conversation went down with the companies I called:
First I asked them how to read their dating system.  Before answering they asked
for me to read the data off of the package.  IF IT WAS OUTDATED all of them said:
"Throw it away and we will send you FREE coupons to buy new stuff.  (No cost to
me - they actually lost money).  Then they explained their dating system so that
I would be an informed consumer.   Also if I had purchased the item at a store
and it was outdated when I bought it they wanted the store's name and address.

Hope this clears a few things up.  Also many companies are mailing me their
dating system.  As I receive them I will post it the group under "More food
expiration dates".

Yours,  Rayne