SC - What to call it?

David Dendy ddendy at silk.net
Thu May 20 23:37:20 PDT 1999

Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:

> TRONCHOS DE LECHUGAS -- Stalks of Lettuce

> Note: this recipe is a hard one to translate clearly, being full of idioms
> that don't anglicize well, but the essence of it is that each day the used
> syrup is to be discarded, and the lettuce cooked in a fresh batch of
> sugar.
>
> Brighid

I've made this before following the Digby recipe, but I used the same sugar
syrup each day, removing the lettuce, bringing the syrup to a boil, then
replacing the lettuce.  I've added fruit juice in the last boiling and the
result is delightfully gummy-bear-like.

To the question "what lettuce should I use," my answer is "any mild flavored
lettuce you like."  You're going to have a lot of leaves left over when you
pull out the stalks, so it may as well be something you want to use in salad.

Digby specifies that you use "the knob, out of which the lettuce groweth,"
rather than the stalks - I used the stalks because there's not much left of the
knob when you buy lettuce in the store.  One day I'll grow my own and see what
happens.

I definitely recommend trying one recipe or the other - it was incredibly
popular last year at Pennsic!

     -Laura