SC - What to call it?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri May 21 07:45:40 PDT 1999

In a message dated 5/21/99 2:45:42 AM Eastern Daylight Time, ddendy at silk.net
writes:

<< Here in Appledore we call our cooks' guild The Confraternity of St.
Lawrence
 in Appledore. St. Lawrence is the patron saint of cooks, largely because he
 was martyred by being roasted on a gridiron (I do love the historical sense
 of humour [grin]). I would suggest you might adopt such a name, simply
 changing it to "in [insert shire name]".

 Yours saucily,
 Francesco Sirene >>

Although St. Lawrence is the patron of cooks, there are other  saints of
cooks.

For instance, St. Martha.  Given her background as the mother of Mary, this
is the person who nurtured and raised Mary, she most likely passed her
homemaking skills on to her daughter also. This is why St. Martha, the saint
of cooks, was chosen by The Guild of St. Martha as it's patron.

Interestingly, St. Martha is usually portrayed as an elderly lady and her
pictures usually include a dragon coiled at her feet on a leash. This gives a
whole new insight into the concept of the kitchen witch (e.g. the Crone) that
we hang above our stoves to prevent things from burning or cooking
improperly.. It is not hard to imagine the Christ family hurrying over to
Martha's for a nice Sunday dinner of roast chicken and lamb kabobs. :-)

Feel free to use any of the concepts above. Good luck! :-)

Ras