SC - war food

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Sun May 23 22:20:46 PDT 1999

Branwen asked:
> This is Branwen here - and I am contemplating ways to make my camp =
> cooking more period.
>
> I am =
> wondering what premade foods I could bring to wars, possibly what =
> premade foods which can be frozen and stored for the anticipated =
> weekends. My husband and I are usually too tired on a war day to do much =
> more than look at the cooler and wish it could walk to us. I am =
> immobile, more or less, after a war, so anything I could hobble over to =
> and heat up would be great.

How about stews and bruets or soups? I would think most of these could
be made up ahead of time, frozen and warmed over a camp stove or fire.
My wife and I have been doing similar things for the past few Gulf Wars,
but not usually period foods, as I haven't convinced her that period
food is good, yet. Anyway, a meal does not have to be fancy, and I
would think a soup or stew could easily be extended with breads, fruit
or possibly a salad.

If you are looking for recipes, perhaps some of these in the FOOD
section of my Florilegium might be a good start:
soup-msg         (114K)  5/10/99    Medieval soups. Cooking soups at events.
                                       recipes.
stews-bruets-msg  (45K)  2/ 3/99    Period stews and bruets. Recipes.

Some folks have talked of making frumenty ahead of time and warming it
at feasts in boil-in-bags:
frumenty-msg      (48K)  4/ 7/99    A period cooked grain dish, often barley.

Hope this helps. If you want to know if a specific recipe will freeze and
reheat well, perhaps some of the more experienced cooks here can help.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
         http://lg_photo.home.texas.net/florilegium/index.html ****