SC - Recipe from an old Gourmet magazine

MAGGIE SECARA SECARAM at mainsaver.com
Mon May 24 11:04:49 PDT 1999

At 12:12 PM -0400 5/24/99, Kappler, MMC Richard A. wrote:
>Adamantius siad:
>
>> the possibility
>> exists that there is some kind of link between certain Scandinavian
>and
>> Turkish foods.
>
>I shouldn't be surprised at all.  If you back up history a little
>further to when they were Magyars instead of Turks, IIRC you'll find
>they settled in/conquered not only Anatolia, but also what is now know
>as Hungary and Finland.

I don't think the Magyars are a turkic people--at least, the language is
finno-ugric, not Turkic. And I don't think the Finns are descended from
Magyars, given how different the languages are--just that they have some
common origin much farther back. If we are talking about migrations that
occurred prior to the invention of agriculture, I doubt we can expect much
culinary connection--anyone know what the conjectural dates are?

David Friedman
Professor of Law
Santa Clara University
ddfr at best.com