SC - Apple breeds?

HICKS, MELISSA HICKS_M at casa.gov.au
Mon May 24 15:02:17 PDT 1999

First Puck said:

<< I shouldn't be surprised at all.  If you back up history a little
 further to when they were Magyars instead of Turks, IIRC you'll find
 they settled in/conquered not only Anatolia, but also what is now know
 as Hungary and Finland.  >>

Then Duke Cariadoc said:

<<If we are talking about migrations that occurred prior to the invention of
agriculture, I doubt we can expect much culinary connection--anyone know what
the conjectural dates are?>>

No one has a set date as to when the split occurred between the Magyars and
the Finns (and Estonians for that matter),  but it is believed to be sometime
after the creation of agriculture.  All that remains now are linguistic
similarities.

As for any connection between the Magyars and Turks they are two different
distinct ethnic groups.  The Magyars were ruled by the Khazars and arrived
into the Carpathian Basin around the year 895 CE.  They are the ancestors of
the modern Hungarians.  The Turks arrived into Asia Minor at a much later
date, wiping out what remained of the Byzantine Empire.  They established the
Ottoman Empire which expanded through much of the near and far east and as
far north as Hungary by 1527.

Noemi
who guesses those degrees are good for something. . .