SC - war food

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue May 25 11:09:13 PDT 1999

 LordVoldai said.....
>I will look into the matter of dolmas and hummus as being period, I know
that
>the local baron is very fond of them at feasts and also a stickler for
>authenticity ( for him SCA = Society for Compulsive Authenticity) so I will

>ask him and see what he has to say.

	Ok, what makes me pause here is the part that " for him SCA =
Society for Compulsive Authenticity". Why is researching period foods seen
as compulsive? No offense intended to LordVoldai, but it brings up a point I
noticed lately.
	My Husband and housemate have begun to call me an Authenticity
Maven/Na** (prefer not to use that word )
	What it has stemmed from is the fact that when we look over event
listings I look at the upcoming feasts and am surprised by the lack of
effort towards periodness. Perhaps it's just me,  perhaps it's where I am or
perhaps I'm just looking at the wrong menus.

	When Fighters improve their armor, they aren't referred to as
Authenticity Mavens,  when a dancer  researches period dances they aren't
referred to as Compulsively Authentic,  but when  a cook researches food
they are? Am I out in left field on this one?

	As far as the potluck, here is what I made: The cheesecakes from the
Miscellany- very nummy, Hulwa  with toasted hazelnuts and almonds - very
good I had problems getting the honey to the proper temperature though.
Zarbarbada of fresh cheese, chopped liver, and Sage chicken.  Then we ended
up not making either event so we just ate nummy medieval food all weekend.

	I also got very few responses to my query to the list, Is that
because no one takes things to potlucks? Or at least nothing period?  Just
wondering...

	Zoe Valonin  the Authenticity Maven?????
	Barony of Sundragon
	Atenveldt