SC - OT compulsive authenticity - was Pot Luck Part two....

LordVoldai at aol.com LordVoldai at aol.com
Tue May 25 12:23:42 PDT 1999

In a message dated 5/25/99 11:45:18 AM Central Daylight Time,
Deborah.Schumacher at iac.honeywell.com writes:

> Why is researching period foods seen
>  as compulsive?
i don't view this as a bad thing as long as it is done in the right way.  i
have very much the same views on religion - believe and do what works for you
but dont try to coerce others to your way of thinking.  if they happen to
agree with you, well so much the better.  but if they don't, it doesn't mean
that they are categorically wrong.  one of the things i like about the SCA is
that you get what you make of it.  if someone want's to make hoopoloid (what
my laurel called my first costume, before i knew better)  or an italian ren.
out of gold lame and they are having fun in the game well then it's ok (i'll
just try to keep them out of my line of vision).  i don't think many people
in the SCA would ask them to leave because their garb isn't period.  we can
try to educate them but if they insist then.... what can you really do?  it
think banishment is a severe punishment for gold lame (well maybe not too
severe, lol).  the same goes for roast beast and mashed potatoes at a feast,
as long as it's not poisoning anybody, it's really not _that_ bad.  yes we
try to recreate but everyone has their limits (of understanding and what they
can stand to do) and i think we should respect that.  after all even
authenticity can be taken too far.  i know i certainly wouldn't want the
chiurgeons practicing period medicine (eating glass slivers for depression
seems counter productive or at least not helping matters).

in service
Volodislav ludozertzça z Karpat
mka chad graber