SC - OT- My Business Card (Was: FROM THE...)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed May 26 23:13:08 PDT 1999

Christina van Tets wrote:

> Hello the list!
snip
  I was particularly interested in the
> galingale (which, yes, they still use), since I had not been able to lay my
> hands on any until then (no pun intended, but it was rather fun to run my
> hands through a sack of the stuff).  What struck me most was the fact that
> it smelt so much like a mild turmeric.  Do the two taste similar?  Could one
> use a _little_ turmeric to replace galingale in recipes?
snip snip

> Cairistiona

I wrote the following before I read the rest of the post, but I am
sending it anyway because I like to see myself in print! --Mel
(newspaper is quite fetching, don't you think? <G>)

Even tho I have no experience with galingale I would like to make this
point:  Please consider the currant which, uncooked, tastes (to my
palet) nearly identical to a rasin. However, when cooked produces a
delightfully different flavour alltogether.  Another example also, is
anise and licorice (if only I could spell it!).  I had an interesting
and fruitless discussion with a gentle who insisted they were different
names for the same seasoning.  To my palate they are quite different
(tho I can sense similarities):  The former I love and the latter I
loathe.

I don't know anything about galingale and how easy it is, or isn't, to
come by (pardon my ignorance), but you may want to try to cook with some
in comparison with tumeric [or ginger] (I always like side by side
comparisons) to be sure your palate wouldn't prefer the real thing to a
substitute, regardless what others have to say.

Just my tuppence for mental mastication.   :)

Melisande
Calontir
Barony of Forgotten Sea