SC - Lamb recipe

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu May 27 19:09:36 PDT 1999

Angie Malone wrote:

> At 09:39 AM 5/27/99 -0500, you wrote:
> >Usually, If I know I will have access to eletricity, I will take barley
> >and beef broth and mushrooms and onions and just let them cook all day on
> >low in a crock pot.  Not a period recipe but it is perioid and it
> >introduces people to barley........  I've done the same with rice in a
> >slow cooker, also.
> >
> >Mercedes
> >

> What a great idea.  I am going to try this, although I am going to use
> chicken broth or vegetable broth only because I don't like beef broth, well
> the kind I've ever had usually overpowers the rest of the taste so much
> that I just don't like it. But that's my prejudice.  ;- )
>
>         Angeline

You might try a white beef stock, made more or less like ordinary beef
stock, only without the caramelizing/roasting of the bones and veg.

So far as I know, though, this product is unavailable canned. The good
broth of beef referred to in period recipes is probably more likely to
be a white beef stock, or something in between the two. Chicken broth is
a decent substitute.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy