SC - bone soup

Karen O kareno at lewistown.net
Sat May 29 09:14:13 PDT 1999

Hi all from Anne-Marie

><<  are compounded by reports that others have come here and felt
> attacked.  When I do work with the recognized cooks in my area, I have to
be
> careful when I reference this list--more than a few people make faces and
> grumble something that sounds an awful lot like "authenticity police" or
> "nazi".  *sigh*

It always puzzles me.

I am a reenactor. I'm into slavish adherance to the primary source
material. I'm never happier then when I'm wearing clothing documentable
down to the weave of the fabric, shoes, hose, garters, headcovering, etc,
all from a single time and place. My household re-produces the camp of
Antoine the Bastard of Burgundy, in Brugges, and the year is 1466.
Everything must fit in that time and place or we do without.

I also recognise that no matter what *I* think is fun, I dont have any
right to impose my idea of a good time on the rest of the folks in the SCA.
If they wanna play with me, that's great. If not, it would be downright
rude to impose my concepts of how the game should be played, especially
unsolicited.

On the other hand, if I have no right to impose my values on others, what
makes it ok for them to impose theirs on me? I would expect the same level
of consideration from them that I give unto others.

Fortunately, I live in a kingdom where period stuff is considered cool.
Most folks dont really wanna do it themselves, but they think its really
neat when other people do.

- --AM