SC - Sugar Plate sculptures

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat May 1 09:35:10 PDT 1999

"Amanda B. Humphrey" wrote:

> Dear Lords and Ladies,
>
> You helped me so well with radishes and the like for my art/sci projects, I
> have yet another question.  I am entering sugar plate sculpture as well and
> am working with it as I type.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to
> mold the sugar without it sticking to my hands?  I am using the cold mix
> recipe from the Good Hus-Wives Jewell and molding it has become a thorn in
> my side for which I can find no relief.  I am simply trying to create a
> setting for a table:  A large plate, a small plate, a bowl, a finger bowl,
> and a goblet.

Period solutions to this problem (which can be avoided to a great extent
by having just the right amount of sugar and other ingredients to water)
include light dustings of rice flour (just as you might now use flour or
starch in pastry work) or a light coat of almond oil on hands and work
surfaces. The latter would be simply oil pressed from almonds, not an
essential flavoring oil.

Some recipes recommend using a muslin bag, such as baseball pitchers use
for rosin, to apply the rice flour. You just tap it on your work surface
and it leaves a light, even coating.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy