SC - Seeking wheat illumination - OOP

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Sat May 1 21:53:53 PDT 1999

>>Are spaetzle made in the same way as Italian pasta is?  And what are
all
those different flours they have in Germany?  <<

I don't know, Elysant, what are the flours are, but I think they are
different kinds of milling.  We have bread flour, all-purpose, and cake
flour, which is very fine.  They have a lot more.

The spaetzle are not made the same way as pasta.  There are now little
machines that squeeze the dough out into little worms of noodles, but my
son's father-in-law taught me to cut them, as has been done for hundreds
of years.  You mix up a sort of gloppy dough, and with a knife that is
about 1" broad scoop some from the bowl onto the board, dip the knife in
the pot of boiling water, scoop up a little, sort of swirl it into the
dough/batter, making it gloppier, then cut rapidly, sort of shaving off
bits that the knife edge pushes into the boiling water.  When the
spaetzle cook, they float up, and every so often, you transfer them from
the cooking pot to a warm pottery dish with butter in it, and swish to
coat with the melted butter.

I taught a small class at one of the Cooks' Collegiums that Alys
Katherine sponsored in Ohio.  Much mess and fun, and they disappeared
fast at the pot luck.  Last time I cooked them for a feast, I was staying
with friends who had a 3 month old baby.  She wanted to be held up to
look around, and the spaetzle had to get done.  On the theory that
mothers had been minding the baby and cooking for a few centuries, we
worked out a way that held Malinda in the crook of the arm, fairly far
from boiling noodle steam, with the board handle in the left hand, knife
in the right, and she had her first cooking lesson.

Regards,

Allison
allilyn at juno.com, Barony Marche of the Debatable Lands, Pittsburgh, PA
Kingdom of Aethelmearc