SC - Pipkins are?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed May 5 05:58:16 PDT 1999

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> Yes, they are a variety of apple. A variety I might add that is still grown
> today in some areas.

I'll certainly bow to Ras in his superior knowledge of agriculture, but
I'll just throw this in: there is an apple known as a pippin. Is there
some confusion here, or just a coincidental resemblance of names?

I think the reference to pipkins in the several 16th - 19th century
recipes that mention them generally refer to the saucepan by that name,
and the context usually makes that fairly clear. The rabbit recipe
referred to at the beginning of this discussion is something of an exception.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com