SC - Pipkins are?

Wade Hutchison whutchis at bucknell.edu
Wed May 5 06:55:37 PDT 1999

I agree with Nanna that it (probaby) refers to the pot.  A pipkin is a
roundish, usually pottery, pot, often with three legs to steady it over
the fire and a short, thick handle.   I would guess that because it is
 round in shape, it could _look_ like an apple.  Didn't we determine
lately that everything that's round was called an apple of some sort?
I would think the pipkin name
transferred from the pot to the fruit at some point.
	-----wade/Gille