SC - Accomodating Vegetarians at Period Feasts

upsxdls at Okstate.edu upsxdls at Okstate.edu
Wed May 5 14:12:18 PDT 1999

I haven't cooked for a large crowd - yet.  One person in our household is an
Ovo-lacto vegetarian.  I cooked for around 20 people at NR Warlord.  Following
is the menu:

     1.  Specialty bread with herbed cream cheese spread
     2.  Brats in Beer with Braised Cabbage, Stewed Apples
     3.  Garlic Chicken in White Wine Sauce, Rice, Mushroom sauce and Honeyed
Carrots

There was plenty of bread & cream cheese.  It at least partially satisfied the
need for protein.  The braised cabbage had no meat in it.  I normally cook the
brats in with the cabbage.  The rice and mushroom sauce were made using
vegetable broth.  I usually use chicken or beef stock.   Note:  no one missed
dessert.  We were so stuffed!  I know these recipes are OOP, but I haven't had
time to do much research.  When I have it to do over again, I'm going to add Egg
Pies or Stuffed Eggs to increase the protein.  The best part of it all:  very
few leftovers!
Liandnan (nee Leanna)

Replaced beef or chicken stock with vegetable stock.