SC -gelatinous properties, was chessboards

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Fri May 7 15:20:16 PDT 1999

>I'm trying to find a mention of  carageenan in any of our references or
>original sources.  No luck, yet, but Ann Hagen says, in _A Handbook of
>Anglo-Saxon Food_, the Processing and Consumption volume:
>
>"Cereal-derived flummery produced a slightly acid, solid jelly, ...."
>
>She is not talking about carageenan here, is she?  A product derived from
>moss would not come under the 'cereal' heading, I don't think.  The word
>'flummery' is not generally used in the USA, but is it still used in GB
>for puddings, et al?  Does anyone know, specifically, what Hagen means?

Sir Kenelme Digby has a flummery recipe.  It is a wheat flour pudding or
jelly flavored with sugar and rosewater or orange-flower water:  "#152
WHEATEN FLOMMERY...  Take half, or a quarter of a bushel of good Bran of
the best wheat (which containeth the purest flower of it, though little,
and is used to make starch,) and in a great woodden bowl or pail, let it
soak with cold water upon it three or four days.  Then strain out the milky
water from it, and boil it up to a gelly or like starch.  Which you may
season with Sugar and Rose or Orange-flower-water, and let it stand till it
be cold, and gellied..."

<snip>

HTH,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu