SC - Blanc Desire???

WOLFMOMSCA at aol.com WOLFMOMSCA at aol.com
Sat May 8 06:08:53 PDT 1999

Re:  words.

The Old French word, from which our modern English "desire" is descended, is
'desirer'.  Given the French pronunciation of the word, it's possible that
the person who wrote down the recipe used a word with which he was familiar
for the phonetic pronunciation of something someone called "white stuff I
learned how to make in Syria".  Since the Arabic word for Syria isn't
anything close (being El Sham), it's highly doubtful that any Arabic words
were even hinted at when the originator of the recipe was telling whoever
wrote it down what it was.  Does anyone out there have an ethnic (I know,
dirty word, but sometimes useful) cookbook from either Syria, or Lebanon, or
some other country in that local neck o' the woods describing a dish like
this?  It may give us an "Arabic" word to make the connection.

Walk in peace,
Wolfmother