SC - medieval garden herbs/flowers

Tollhase1 at aol.com Tollhase1 at aol.com
Mon May 10 19:20:27 PDT 1999

As it is garden planting season, I have again pulled down my ratty and dusty
Shakespeare garden book.  I would love to plant a small period garden.
Probably more of an herbal/veggie type than floral.  Although, I would love
to find period roses.  The book I am using gives lots of information,
including Latin names, but it does not always differ between the 16th and
17th century.  At times, it quotes a play, so therefore I can approximate the
date.  I also know from other Shakespeare Research, that many of his
reference are folklore dating back a long time.  So I am looking for books
which can help.  Of course sources for period herbs are helpful, but also
locating varieties which are not common now.

As some of these items tend to be more floral Vs cooking, is there another
list I should be consulting as well.

Thanks Lord Frederich Holstein der Tollhase