SC - Words of wisdom

Brian L. Rygg or Laura Barbee-Rygg rygbee at montana.com
Mon May 10 22:08:56 PDT 1999

This was only my 8th or 9th event, and 1st time ever doing anything beyond
washing dishes or general cleanup.
    It only became an issue the day of the event when I realized that
nothing had been said about or planned ahead for transporting food.
    I had planned for one cold meat dish, one was cooking at the MoAS'
house, and everything else was cooked in my home kitchen, including the
bread (my favorite part).  I had enlisted the help of a dependable friend,
and enlisted another who dropped by to cut up the rabbits.
    Another friend and company stopped by on their way to the feast hall to
see if I needed help transporting the feast and what a godsend.
I then used my station wagon, aforementioned friends' car (one was an old
Checker cab with HUGE trunk) and made it to the feast on time.
    I served 3 removes or courses to 90 people.

    Since then, I have served as Autocrat and Feastocrat several times, and
here in Northern Artemisia the Autocrat is in charge overall and
theoretically responsible for things like getting food to site if needed
(the issue has not come up since but I warn all future cooks about that
possibility).  The cook is in charge of not overspending and doing all the
shopping.  I started the Shire practice of the cook and main helper not
paying for feast, and have since added head dishwasher to that list.
Raoghnailt Marie Béatrix de la Barbe
(Laura E. Barbee-Rygg)
rygbee at montana.com