SC - "personal recipies"

LordVoldai at aol.com LordVoldai at aol.com
Wed May 12 10:11:46 PDT 1999

Donning a flame retardent suit Voldai quotes:

In a message dated 5/12/99 1:31:24 AM Central Daylight Time, LrdRas at aol.com
writes:

> Once the recipe has changed from the original even a single iota it is
>  no longer able to be called 'period'. It is a personal recipe. And, I can
>  think of no excuse which is valid for doing so other than laziness on the
>  part of the Kitchen Steward,.

and replies:
	while i am all for research into period cookery i find it insulting
and _excessively_ compulsive (i'm all for being moderately ccompulsive) to
insist that a recipe cannot be changed one iota.  redactions may inherently
and sometimes intentionally include substitutions or alterations from the
original recipe.  ofttimes this is not laziness, but rather, ecpediency or
creativity (the alternate interpretation for the "c" in SCA).

	 i also feel that it is insulting to our bretheren in peroid to
assume that they were mindless automatons following instructions in a book of
cookery and had no creative spirit or ability themselves.  i'm sure period
cooks were as creative as their modern day counterparts.  i know of no true
cook worth the name (in any time period) that cannot adapt or improvise a
recipe from previous experience and what is at hand.

	again, i agree that period research is a very necessary and integral
part of the SCA.  but i also think that insisting on a precise following of
the recipie leaves out any creative input that an individual cook may have
and gives you no potential for progress.  while i have heard arguments for
both interpretations of SCA (compulsive authenticity vs. creative
anachronism), i truly feel that there is a happy medium between the two that
is what i personally strive for.  otherwise all my creative potential is
wasted.

	please reply personally or to the list as you feel necessary.

in service
Volodislav ludozertzça z Karpat
Steppes, Ansteorra

mka Chad Graber