SC - Flavored Butters

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Thu May 13 21:29:57 PDT 1999

I have, compliments of Cardiac Cariadoc ;-), a reference to honey butter
from the physician Anthimus, about 5th century Byzantium, but it is
indicated as something to be given to consumptives as a medicine, rather
than a food.

I agree with Ras (we do agree occasionally ;-) that the usage of bread and
flavored butters is not very period, so with that in mind, the first course
of the Feast I'm working on is fruits, as suggested in Platina.

LXXVII De Butero

Similiter et de butero recentum si acceperit tisecus, sed buter ipsum sale
nec penitus non habeat nam si aburit salepeius exterminat. Si purum et
recentum et mel modicum admixtumfuerit sic linguat catamodicum et supinus se
ponat. Tamen de tissecus diximus esse aptum quos non longo tempore
obtinuerit causa nam si uulneratus fuerit pulmo et purulenta excreant nec
illis congruum.

LXXVII Of Butter

Likewise of butter, if a consumptive take it. But the said butter should
have no salt at all, for if it has salt, it does great damage. If it is
clean and fresh, let a little honey be mixed with it, and let the patient
lick it a little, and then lie down flat. Furthermore, about consumptives,
it is better for those who have not had it for a long time, but if the lung
is punctured and excretes pus, it is not good for those people.

Incidently, when I was discussing this with Adamantius, he said it looks
like it also contains the first known recipe for a souffle, # XXXIII, Of
Afratus. Cariadoc, would you care to comment on that?

Phlip

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig