SC - poetry and cookery

Russell Gilman-Hunt conchobar at rocketmail.com
Mon May 17 10:20:30 PDT 1999

It has come about in private corespondence with a friend
of mine that I may have been overly grouchy and mildly
unclear this morning.

What I intended to make clear my opinion that to use a period
recipe for, say, Icelandic Chicken, as justification for some
weird chicken club sandwich (lettuce and no tomatoes) is not
"period" but more accurately described (politely) as "based on
a period source..."  To follow the recipe would result in a period
food; no argument, but to create a new food *based* on the
original, is not "period".  Just like my poetry, *based* on 12th
century Irish stuff with 12th century themes and purposes, is not
"period".

I hope that makes clear my sentiments on the matter. *grin* and
I'll be hiding behind the mead under the Rock, thank you very much.

Conchobar