SC - Period Tomato Sauce

lilinah at grin.net lilinah at grin.net
Mon May 17 16:25:17 PDT 1999

LordVoldai wrote:
> actually katsup was not known speciffically for tomatoes until the heinz
> company got ahold of it.  it was made in the home in the early part of this
> century from various vegtables.

LordRas responded:
>Correct. This discussion has come up several times in the past on this list.
>Perhaps Stefan has the  files  or parts thereof in his Flore-thingy for the
>perusal of anyone interested in that topic.

While we get the name via Malay, i suspect it may be Chinese in origin (i
speak Malay, but i can only count in Mandarin Chinese and say the
equivalent of "hello"). It's "kecap" in modern Indonesian spelling, "c"
pronounced like "ch" in English. It is sometimes spelled "ketjap" in the
earlier Dutch-ized spelling. Kecap is soy sauce. Besides "kecap asin",
salty soy sauce, there is "kecap manis", a sweet soy sauce that's almost as
syrupy as molasses which is eaten with such savory foods as "saté" (while
this name is often used in Thai restaurants in America, "satay" isn't the
Thai word for those little skewers of grilled meats, but rather the Malay
word).

IIRC, the Brits brought the word back from their colonization in what is
now Malaysia, as well as the word "amok" (which has stress on the first
syllable in Malay), and just about any kecap/ketjap/ketchup/katsup would be
OOP for Europe.

Of course, this doesn't address the question of whether there might exist
an SCA period tomato sauce...

Anahita Gaouri bint-Karim al-Fassi