SC - Amazing find! (OOP)

Maureen Martin mlmartin at freewwweb.com
Tue May 18 21:57:19 PDT 1999

Oughton, Karin (GEIS, Tirlan) wrote:

>         The only drawback is that it has been 'mildewed' at one stage - not
> badly but enough that you can smell the musty smell, so I can't keep it on
> my bookshelves with my other cook books. So it gets pride of place by
> itself.......it has to be on a par with my 17th century brass cooking spoon,
> which has been worn away at an angle from pot stirring.
>
>         Thanks for letting me babble
>
>         Karin

Greetings Karin,

I am far from an expert in the treatment and preservation of *antique*
books, but I have had several experiences with modern books mildewing.
I have found that liberally sprinkling baking soda between the pages
(being sure to apply soda to the outside binding) and wrapping the book
in something moderately breathable (like news print) will go a long way
toward de-stinking a book. If you change out the soda every 6 months or
so for several years you can even get out cat urine smell (almost).
Just keep changing out the soda until you have the level of scent you
can live with.  I use a 2" wide paint brush to dust off old soda before
applying new.  (And although I definitely wouldn't suggest this for your
antique book, you can even mist pages to get the mildew to interact with
the soda more quickly.  However, in this case, do not wrap the book, but
leave it to breathe with the pages as "fluffy" as you can.)

This is a tedious task when your book is many pages long, but worth the
effort, especially if you are alergic to mold and mildew.

Successful de-stinking does not mean, however, that you should remove
your book from its "Place of Honour!"

Melisande Saucheverel
Calontir
Barony of Forgotten Sea

P.S.  I eagerly await reading more of the book's "pronouncements!"