SC - An Interesting Cookbook- OOP

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Thu May 27 08:16:01 PDT 1999

>A neighbor just loaned me "The Virginia House-wife" by Mary Randolph,
>edited
>by Karen Hess. Among other interesting things I've found browsing, Mrs
>Randolph does not
>believe in long cooking- her vegetables are done to crisp-tender, and Ms.
>Hess suggests that our more recent business of cooking things until they're
>grey might be a direct result of commercial canning processes,

And/or the admonitions to thoroughly re-cook home canned foods, especially
in the days before pressure canners.   Another reason was that at one point
the usefulness of food nutritionally was measured via the, um, output of
waste.  Vegetables well cooked were less fibrous and more "digestible" that
is, less waste product.  Therefore well-cooked vegetables were considered
better for you than crisp-tender cooked vegetables.  That was nutritional
science 100 years ago.

For more information on why we cook like we do, and why some ideas about
nutrition came into being, read "Perfection Salad : Women and Cooking at the
Turn of the Century" by Laura Shapiro,ISBN: 0805002286. It discusses the
history of home economics and nutrition research in the United States.
(no, I don't know all that off the top of my head! As usual, I only recalled
which shelf a book I've read over several times sits upon in my local
library and after a few minutes I thought I recalled the title. I tried it
out on a search of a used book locater and Voila!)

There's another book on the shelf on much the same topic,but focusing on the
social services aspects of home economics, specifically in turn of the
Century Boston.  If the title comes to me, I'll let you know!

Yes, I am quite aware that my memory works in mysterious ways!

Bonne