Lettuce (was Re: SC - Citron and Potato)

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Tue May 4 17:36:45 PDT 1999

And it came to pass on 4 May 99,, that LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> Also if I may ask, I would like the lettuce recipe also. Thanks in
> advance.

Well, if I had to mention a recipe more or less at random, at least it was
a short one... :-)

TRONCHOS DE LECHUGAS -- Stalks of Lettuce

Take the stalks of the lettuce, and cook them in water, until they are
tender, and squeeze all the water out of them, and cast them in a
glazed pot, and take a quantity of sugar, that which seems to you is
enough to cover them, and well clarified, strain it, and bring it to a boil
three times, and when it is tepid, cast it in the pot over the stalks, and
leave them until the same hour of the next day, and remove the sugar
and resume cooking as much again as the other time, and set it aside,
and when cold cast it away again, and so manage it nine days, doing
this each day, and at the last, finish cooking the preserve, until it is at
its point, and cast in the musk, and upon the stalks, and the preserve,
and keep them.

Note: this recipe is a hard one to translate clearly, being full of idioms
that don't anglicize well, but the essence of it is that each day the used
syrup is to be discarded, and the lettuce cooked in a fresh batch of
sugar.

Brighid

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)