SC - Party food question - a possiblity

Weaver8002 at aol.com Weaver8002 at aol.com
Wed May 5 16:47:48 PDT 1999

In a message dated 5/4/99 9:57:08 PM EST, fiondel at fastrans.net writes:

<< I've been scouring
 every cookbook, e-mail message, and article I can find, and nothing
 quite fits the bill.  >>

Fiondel:

I hope the following recipe will help:

Beef Pasties

1 LB beef sirloin
1 LB turnips
1 LB onions
salt & pepper

pie crust for a double crust pie - use your favorite recipe or mix
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Cut beef, turnip and onions into small piece -- about 1/4 to 1/2 inch cubes.

Make your pie crust adding the cinnamon and kneed it slightly to toughen it
just a tiny little bit.  Divid the crust int 6 pieces and roll out as if for
a pie.

Place a small hand full in the center and pinch closed along the top

Bake for 1 hour at F 350.  Check at the 45 minute mark.

These are best served at room temperature and are better the second day.
Should be great on Friday if baked Wednesday.

The recipe is from the Time-Life Cookbooks and is from England.  The coal
miners in Pennsylvania still carry them in their lunch boxes.  The recipe as
it appeared called for help a pound of turnips and half a pound of potatoes.
I'm sure that the way I've given it here is how it started.

Margherita the Weaver