SC - Milham & Platina (Cividale incunabula)

Thomas Gloning Thomas.Gloning at germanistik.uni-giessen.de
Thu May 6 14:52:14 PDT 1999

Many thanks to all the people who commented on the Milham edition of
Platina. I am eagerly looking forward to the copy I ordered. I was long
waiting for this edition since the preparation and textual studies for
this edition seem to go back to the seventies (1972, when I was age 12):

- -- Milham, M.E.: The manuscripts of Platina "De honesta voluptate" and
its source, Martino. In: Scriptorium 26 (1972) 127-129.
- -- Milham, M.E.: The latin editions of Platina's "De honesta voluptate".
In: Gutenberg-Jahrbuch 52 (1977) 57-63.
- -- Milham, M.E.: The vernacular editions of Platina's "De honesta
voluptate". In: Gutenberg-Jahrbuch 54 (1979) 87-95.
- -- Milham, M.E.: New Aspects of "De honesta voluptate ac valitudine".
In: Campana, A./ Masotti, P. Medioli (eds.): Bartolomeo Sacchi il
Platina. Padua 1986, 91-96.
- -- Milham, M.E.: Platina and papal politics. In: Lambert, C. (Dir.): Du
manuscrit a\ la table. Montre/al, Paris 1992, 81-84.

In addition, Mary E. Milham published a short but important article on
the German "Ku:chenmeisterei":

- -- Milham, M.E.: Addenda to the history of "Ku:chenmeisterei". In:
Gutenberg-Jahrbuch 47 (1972) 110-116.

Another important contribution to the history of culinary texts is her
critical edition of Apicius (1969):

- -- Apicii decem libri qui dicuntur De re coquinaria et Excerpta a
vinidario conscripta. Edidit M.E. Milham. Leipzig (Teubner) 1969
(Bibliotheca Scriptorum Graecorum et Romanorum Teubneriana).

[The Teubneriana is one of the most renowned series in classical
scholarship; another important edition of Apicius in our century seems
to be that of:
- -- Jaques Andre/: Apicius. L'art culinaire, De re coquinaria. Texte
e/tabli, traduit et commente/‚ par J. Andre/. Paris 1965.
This edition was used for the:
- -- Concordantia Apiciana. A concordance to Apicius' "De re coquinaria"
and "Excerpta a vinidario" with an analysis of the lexicon by A. Urba/n.
Hildesheim/ Zu:rich/ New York 1995.
This concordance includes variants of the Milham-edition.]

Now, there is yet another Platina edition together with a reprint of the
Faccioli text of Martino da Como. It is published in Italy in two
volumes together with a little booklet. The first volume is a very
beautiful facsimile:

- -- Bartolomeo Platina: Il piacere onesto e la buona salute. De honesta
voluptate et valetudine. Copia anastatica dell' incunabulo stampato a
Cividale da Gerardo di Fiandra nel 1480 e conservato al Museo
Archeologico Nazionale di Cividale del Friuli. Societa Filologica
Friuliana, Arti Grafiche Friulane, Udine 1994.

Note that this incunabula is not the first edition of the printed text
but, according to the editors, a very correct one.
The second volume contains:

- -- Martino da Como: Libro de arte coquinaria. Premessa e commenti di
Paolo Micoli. Societa\ Filologica Friuliana, Arti Grafiche Friuliane,
Udine 1994. [The text is reprinted from the Faccioli edition 1966; every
passage is commented on by P. Micoli.]

BTW: Living in the heart of Suebia (Tuebingen) I told some of my
Spaetzles about the dumpling/noodle-idea: They clearly wanted to remain
what they ever where: noodles.

Cheers,
Thomas