SC - Questions on Sekainjabin

Vicki Strassburg Eldredge taltos at primenet.com
Fri May 7 10:56:18 PDT 1999

I've had a couple of requests for recipes on Sekanjabin and my variations. So here
goes.
- -----
>From Cariadoc's Miscellany:
Sekanjabin

Dissolve 4 cups sugar in 2 1/2 cups of water; when it comes to a boil add 1 cup
wine vinegar. Simmer 1/2 hour. Add a handful of mint, remove from fire, let cool.
Dilute the resulting syrup to taste with ice water (5 to 10 parts water to 1 part
syrup). The syrup stores without refrigeration.

Note: This is the only recipe in the Miscelleny that is based on a modern source:
A Book of Middle Eastern Food, by Claudia Roden. Sekanjabin is a period drink; it
is mentioned in the Fihrist of al-Nadim, which was written in the tenth century.
The only period recipe I have found for it (in the Andalusian cookbook) is called
"Sekanjabin Simple" and omits the mint. It is one of a large variety of similar
drinks described in that cookbook-flavored syrups intended to be diluted in either
hot or cold water before drinking.
- -----
What I usually do:
Substitute.  :-)
- -----
My two favorite variations:
Apple Sekanjabin: use apple mint, and apple cider vinegar
Honey Sekajabin: use 2 cups honey instead of 4 cups sugar
- -----
And I end with a question: how do I use stevia? and in what proportions? Anyone?
Help?

~Maedb