SC - Re: Storvik Baronial Championship Feast

Rise Sheridan-Peters rjsp at phosphor-ink.com
Mon May 10 19:32:04 PDT 1999

At 08:56 PM 5/10/99 -0400, John le Burguillun wrote:

>My lady, Baroness Anne, made the 8 hour pilgrimage to attend your event
>{your new Baroness is an old college partner-in-crime of ours}.  She
>said you did a phenomenal job!  She especially enjoyed the Cherry Soup
>and the Savory Toasted Cheese {Jaella's recipe?}.  I'm sure no one would
>complain if you happened to post your recipes here {hint, hint}.

First, just for the record I have to note that I was not head cook for this
feast.  Mundane life did not permit, and our Baronial Seneschal, Magnus,
took on that role.  It was his first feast and he did a great job.  I had a
minor role in the get-him-started part of feast planning, did a little
hand-holding during the planning process, and organized my household to be
his kitchen staff (we slice, we dice, we fricasee.... but we do not do
dishes<g>).  But he did the heavy lifting of planning, test cooking,
pre-cooking, shopping, etc.

That said, the menu included, in the first course, bread, herbed butter,
honey butter (yes, I know that pre-combining them isn't period, but last
feast I put them on the tables separately and apparently the populace
didn't Get It), a fresh cheese spread with herbs (this was supposed to be
fresh mozzerrella, but the cheese-making process didn't quite go as
planned, so we improvised), and the cold cherry soup.  I don't have the
recipe for that at hand; my understanding, however, is that it was a modern
recipe.

The second course was coneys with onions, from Pleyn Delite (we used the
chicken option) and leeks & funges. and broccoli with savory toasted cheese
(Cariadoc's recipe, actually).

The third course was roasted beef, and frumenty (except we forgot to add
the eggs), and carrots in cider (a local fave).

And for dessert we had pears in wine sauce, and cake.

Everyone got enough to eat.  We had one gluten-intolerant person who got
her chicken w/onions set aside before the bread thickener was added; we had
an alcohol-free bowl of the cherry soup set aside (before the wine was
added) for Her Majesty and the children (and anyone else who wanted it).
That about did it for food idiosyncracies, these folks up here have gone
from being leery of anything but beef and bread to being willing to eat
almost anything we put in front of them.

Except for the non-period soup, I think the recipes were all out of either
TATE, Cariadoc's Miscellany, or Pleyn Delite.

I'm glad the eating end of the feast was fun, because the cooking part was
(as usual) was a blast.

=Cait, in Storvik
=Rise Sheridan-Peters
rjsp at phosphor-ink.com