SC - Sources, not sauces... slightly OT

Fri May 14 07:21:17 PDT 1999

> OK this is a rough explanation, and one can quibble on minor points.
> However
> whilst this was applied to my major of Egyptology (yes, in that instance
> Bear, dead people did count as primary source material <smile>), I think
> it
> applies pretty much to what we do in the SCA also.

Source material, yes, but not very good as a first-hand conversationalist.
However, I will admit to having a conversation with a well embalmed cook
over at Denco's one early morning an eon ago.

> And remember we may call A&S arbiters "judges", but in my notsohumble
> opinion, whether they are endowed with a pointy hat, pointy heels,
> waterfowl, excess vegetation or not, no-one has the right to 'judge' what
> you do. They can give you advice, inspiration, encouragement or criticism
> -
> but that's all. And hopefully they will give you more of the former than
> the
> latter...
>
> Al Vostro e al Servizio del Sogno
> Lucretzia (hoping the rock is flame-retardant)

In a somewhat parallel discussion on the Ansteorran list, we are commenting
on the idea of master works, as were required for elevation in some guilds.
One of the problems I have pointed out is a realistic evaluation of a
masterpiece requires that the judges be thoroughly conversant with the
mysteries of the art being judged.

I opted out of the A&S competitions years ago mainly because of superficial
and erroneous evaluations.  Perhaps, what is needed is a little instruction
in advising, critquing, and encouraging rather than posturing,
pontificating, and prevaricating. :-)

Bear