OT - Re: SC - Documentation Question: Completely OT.

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri May 14 08:13:48 PDT 1999

And speaking of Bull fries...

Russell Gilman-Hunt wrote:

> I had to explain that the Tain bo Cuailnge [The Cattle-Raid of Coolney -- Adamantius]
> was written down in the
> twelfth century but that most scholars placed parts of it in the
> seventh century - essentially, every time I write about Cuchulain I
> have to establish him as an appropriate topic for a 12th century
> Irishman (ie, me).  Frankly, it's getting old.  I've gotten to the
> point where I'm just cut'n and paste'n the source information... not
> learning anything new.

There's a lot of excellent material for documenting the poem in Thomas
Kinsella's translation of the Tain, as I recall. You might rely on some
of that, and go with nearly any text dealing with the Tuatha de Danaan,
which would traditionally identify Setanta (Cuchullainn) as the son of
Lugh of the Long Hand, Master of Diverse Arts and some-time Sun god.
Then you could point out that Lughnasa, Lugh's festival, predates
Christianity in Ireland, as one of the four major festivals of the Irish
calendar, and that Lughnasa is still celebrated today, in a somewhat
modified form. It's a fairly reasonable assumption that this mythos
would have been known to most Irish folk, literate or no, in the
interim.

> Should I just make a well written paragraph and copy it (what I do now)?
> Or do I really need (basically) to authenticate my sources every time I
> use them?

I'd say an expanded version of the above would do it. If not, just go
into a Warp-Spasm!

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy