SC - lichen

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Sat May 15 16:11:04 PDT 1999

>We recently discussed seaweed as a possible ingredient in jellies. Is
>there any evidence of lichen being used in any period foods in period?
>Is it used anywhere for this today?

The earliest mention of Iceland moss as human food in an Icelandic written
source is from the early 14th century but since this is in a law text
dealing with land rights, they were probably used much earlier. They are
still used today but far less than they were.

Many types of lichen have been used for food all over the world - you can
find a list of them at this site (the lichens are sorted by type of use;
scroll down the list until you reach the category HUMAN FOOD:

http://www.lichen.com/usetype.html

Nanna

P.S. Lichens were also used in jellies.