SC - roasted garlic

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Sun May 16 07:25:29 PDT 1999

And it came to pass on 16 May 99,, that Stefan li Rous wrote:

[quoting me]:
> > I know of a couple of recipes (sauces and
> > pottages, I think) which use roasted garlic as an ingredient.

> It was simply the roasting of heads of garlic I had in mind. Although I
> was I think, thinking mainly of the roasted garlic being spread on bread.

I have no evidence for plain roasted garlic on bread.  Only as an
ingredient in cooked dishes.

> I would love to have referances to these recipes that used roasted garlic
> and even better any that describe how to roast them.

How to roast them is described only by the phrase "roasted in the
embers".  I would assume that for even cooking, you'd want to bury the
heads of garlic in the embers.  Then it would be a matter of
experimentation to figure out timing.  Timing may be variable and difficult
to judge, as witness the fact that at least one of the recipes below tells
you what to do if you remove the garlic from the embers and it is
insufficiently roasted.

Here, to the best of my recollection, are the recipes I posted before.  I
almost found myself in the strange position of telling you to check the
Floriligeum, but evidently they didn't get in.

Source: Libro de Guisados by Ruperto de Nola (Spanish, 1529 ed.)
Translation: mine

SALSA BIZA PARA DIEZ ESCUDILLAS -- Biza Sauce for Ten Dishes

You must take three pounds of peeled almonds and pound them well in a
mortar; and then dissolve them with good chicken broth; and and make it pass
through a hair sieve, in such a manner that the milk comes out well; then set it
aside and then take the livers of ducks or hens, and pound them in a mortar;
then take three or four heads of garlic roasted in the embers and pound them
with the livers, and after chopping everything well dissolve it all with the
broth and pass it through a woolen cloth; and then put it in a pot with the
milk, together, and cast into the pot ginger and cinnamon, and pepper, all
ground; and of each item one dinero, and one egg yolk, well beaten, for each
dish, and two ounces of sugar; cast it into the pot.

AJETE PARA ANSARONES -- Garlic Sauce for Geese

Roast three or four heads of garlic between the embers or hot ashes; and after
roasting them, peel off the husks and skins and taste one grain; and if it seems
strong to you, cook them in a pot with only water and give them a boil, and
then take a pound of pine nuts and half of peeled almonds and pound them in
a mortar; and when they are more than half pounded, pound those pine nuts
and garlic with them very forcefully; and then dissolve them with good broth
with is fatty; and pass it through a woolen cloth; and then set it in the pot to
cook: and cast in four ounces of sugar and whole cinnamon tied with a thread
and soaked in rosewater, and put it all together in the pot, and leave it to cook
until it is well thickened; and it is necessary to cook it a good hour.

And I posted this one as well, (though the garlic is boiled, not roasted)
because someone was very eager for garlic sauces:

SALSA QUE SE DICE PIÑONADA DE AJOS -- Sauce Which is Called Pine
Nut Conserve of Garlic

	You will take a pound of pine nuts and another of peeled almonds and
pound them very well, each by itself; and then both together, and cook two
heads of garlic in a little pot with broth of chicken or mutton; and then when
the garlic is well cooked, pound it with the pine nuts and with the well-peeled
almonds.  First the garlic, and when it is all well pounded, pound also with it a
little grated cheese, which is very good, with eight or nine hard-boiled egg
yolks; and when everything is well pounded, dissolve it with the broth of
chicken or mutton, and set it to cook in a very clean pot; and cast into it one
or two ounces of sugar; and a little bit of rose vinegar tempered with
rosewater  in which crushed cloves and ginger and cinnamon and pepper have
been steeping overnight; and cook it until it is cooked and quite thick and
prepare dishes and cast sugar and cinnamon over it.

Brighid
Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann