SC - whey preserved foods (long)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun May 16 14:55:03 PDT 1999

Nanna answered my questions about food preservation in whey with:

> Stefan wrote:
> >This sounds like it works on the same principle as storing things in
> >honey - keeping air and microbes away for the food. But doesn't the
> >whey itself go bad? Is this whey generally from goat's, sheep or cow's
> >milk? What other foods were stored this way?
>
> It is more like pickling, actually; the term used for fermented whey in
> Icelandic, "sýra", actually means "acid" and today, vinegar is sometimes
> used, even though the results are not as good.
>
> The following are two loosely translated sections from my book, the section
> on "súrmatur", literally "sour food", i.e. food preserved in whey, and the
> section on "sýra" (fermented whey). There is some overlapping of the texts.
> Any text in parantheses is not in the original; I´ve added it to explain
> things an Icelander doesn´t need explained. I´ve removed the accent from the
> y in sýra as it may not show up on your screen correctly.

Wow! Thank you for this wonderful explanation and descriptions.

You said though "are two loosely translated sections from my book".
Please, what book? If you have mentioned this before I may have
missed it in some of the digests I had to skip but will eventually get
back to. Could you please give a complete biblographic referance? And
perhaps where it might be purchased. There may be some here or elsewhere
interested in getting a copy. I think I would like to, but if it is
in Icelandic, which your "loosely translated" implies I'm afraid it
won't be of much use to me in that form. Is it available in English? If
not, please consider a translated version. Your English is certainly
good enough.

Also, your header info comes through the digest to me as:
> From: "=?iso-8859-1?Q?Nanna_R=F6gnvaldard=F3ttir?=" <nannar at isholf.is>

Could you give me that in simple characters, even if it loses the accents
and such. I'd like to give credit to you with your full name as opposed
to just "Nanna".

Thanks.
  Stefan

- --