SC - whey preserved foods (long)

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Sun May 16 15:45:45 PDT 1999

- -----Original Message-----
From: Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net>
To: SCA-Cooks maillist <SCA-Cooks at Ansteorra.ORG>
Date: 16. maí 1999 21:47
Subject: Re: SC - whey preserved foods (long)

Stefan wrote:

>You said though "are two loosely translated sections from my book".
>Please, what book? If you have mentioned this before I may have
>missed it in some of the digests I had to skip but will eventually get
>back to. Could you please give a complete biblographic referance? And
>perhaps where it might be purchased. There may be some here or elsewhere
>interested in getting a copy. I think I would like to, but if it is
>in Icelandic, which your "loosely translated" implies I'm afraid it
>won't be of much use to me in that form. Is it available in English? If
>not, please consider a translated version. Your English is certainly
>good enough.

Thank you. The book I mentioned is in Icelandic and hasn´t been translated.
It is called "Matarást" (Love of Food), published by Iðunn, Reykjavík, 1998,
is a kind of encyclopedia on food and cooking (the first ever in my
language), is rather large (it weighs seven pounds (really)) and costs the
earth. It has quite a lot of historical information (though not as much as I
would have liked, but I had to listen to my publisher, who said "Well, you
know, Nanna, culinary history will not be the major selling point of this
work". So I added a lot of recipes instead. The book has been very well
received, was even shortlisted for the Icelandic Literary Prize, which it
unfortunately didn´t win.

And no, I´m not planning on translating it.

>Also, your header info comes through the digest to me as:
>> From: "=?iso-8859-1?Q?Nanna_R=F6gnvaldard=F3ttir?=" <nannar at isholf.is>

Yes, I know, that is the downside of speaking a language which hasn´t
changed that much for a thousand years, and has quite a lot of characters
that English doesn´t have. My name is Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir - or
Rognvaldardottir, if your computer can´t handle the Icelandic letters (that
is, if it is a Macintosh).

Nanna
(at least I got an easy first name, even though English-speaking people
usually won´t believe it is my real name)